Sunday, December 5, 2010

Long-Distance Call

(A Short Story)

        "Fred?...this is Fred, right?"




        "Sweetheart, yes! ... thank heaven for your voice!  Tell me, how are you?  Where are you?  Are the quintuplets with you now?  Where - "

        "Hey, slow down please, Mister, one question at a time, goodness! What do you think I am, an intelligence machine?"

        "Oh I'm sorry but after all these months, I just couldn't help that!  But you understand, don't you?"

        "Well, of course, I do.  In fact, I could have done the 'rattle-questioning' myself hadn't you beat me to  it!"

        "Like old times?" (laughs softly)

        "Like old times!  Only this time, you won. sir.  Congratulations!"

        "Now. wait! ...if you'll  just  hold it a minute!  Look, if there is anything I should be congratulated for, it's having you for my wife, will you remember that?

        "Hmmmm, let me think! (laughs)... just kidding!...  okay... I will!"

        "Really and truly?"

        "Sweetheart, really and truly!   But I was wondering why you should be calling from Cairo right now.  In your last mail, you mentioned that your infantry division was being shipped to Benghazi.  Why, what happened?

        Well okay,  things kinda happen as always..  We were ready for Benghazi then but there was a sudden change of orders from General Headquarters, you know...  'Proceed to Cairo.'  Now we have to put up the front there instead."




        "So you're in Cairo?"

        "Well - um, yes! And you're at home?

        "Not at home.  When the operator rang for me saying I had a long distance call from Egypt, I doubted it because I was sure there wasn't a single Egyptian soul who knew me."

        "So?"

        "So when she told me it was from you, I dashed to the Telecom Office because you'd sound clearer here.  I left the quints home  with my sister and a neighbor because anyway, they had just dozed off to a nap after that bath and god, what a morning it was again!."

        "They've  turned hard to manage now, haven't they? But they're just growing!"

        "I know, but Lieutenant, you left me with five boys to discipline for the army you love so well, remember? Five!  A single boy at half their age would easily make a mother rack her brains out and you sound detached  using that term for five!"

        "Linda, please don't say that. I am aware of how you carry on each day, I really do... but I go on hoping you'd  find someone soon  to help you and your sister with them .. at least while I'm away.  Honey, hold on a little longer please, won't you?  After all they're ours, and I - "

        "Darling, no- I didn't mean it that way.  I'm sorry if I sounded like I was complaining but I wasn't, believe me.  It was all in my excitement. Why nothing could ever replace their very shadows in my heart!!  I love them and I love you!"

        "That's my girl!  I should actually be the one to apologize! I do- very sincerely! . Insensitive me?  Cut my throat, please.   But that's done and over with, okay?  Now, tell me more.  Everything."

        "Well, we all miss you, that's one thing sure.  Only last night, the boys argued among themselves on who was first going to be a general someday.  Then when they all fought each other, I left them alone like you always told me to."

        "And they ended alright, didn't they?"

        "They sure did.  Their peace talk was sensible too.  'Daddy will decide- he's the best soldier!'"

        "Oh yeah?" (laughs heartily)

        "Yup!.  If you only knew how eagerly they await your coming home.  And of course, there's someone else who longs for you twice as much."

        "I can guess, dear, but if you ask me, there's still one other who misses you more - much more than you can ever think."

        "Sweet,  Honey!... But the phone - I think we've been at it too long now... what time do you have?:

        "Twelve noon."

        "Twelve noon? Why, I have that in my watch too.  Shouldn't it be afternoon or early evening in Cairo right now?  Are you sure your watch is correct?"

        "Uhm - Linda - there's something I should have told you be...."

        "Fred, where are you?"

        Linda, you've got to listen to me first, I ..."

        "Tell me Fred, where are you?"

        "Darling, I'll tell you if you promise me not to...., .. not to -whatever! - just hold that receiver tight, okay?"

        "I will,  I will.  Now, tell me.  Tell me!!!"

        "We are both going home to our boys to decide who is to be general first."

        "Wh-what do you mean?"

        "Our plane for Cairo doesn't leave  in six hours yet so I asked Command for that time to be home -..and be back in time...! -However...- I also decided to call you up first."

        "What?"

        You see, earlier, I made arrangements with the operator to tell you that this was a long-distance call... an overseas one. (laughs uneasily) And she told me you were coming over. Well, you know what we can do in a small town like this!

        "Fred!"

         Honey, forgive me for doing this, okay?  but, but - plain stupidity, this, for sure,....call me demented but I wanted a foretaste of the feeling - the real thing when I'd be talking to you with oceans in between us! ...  So actually we haven't left country yet.  and...and...um,  I'm really in the phone booth across the corridor from where you are.   Now let me come to you..  You're not angry are you? ... Linda?... Hello?..... Hello?"

        post script:  Linda has dropped the receiver.  Fred did too now.  From opposite ends of the Telecom Office corridor, there they go.....!

                                             ___________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment