Tuesday, September 18, 2012

SLU Forensics Online Discussion Excerpts-2 (On Philippine Heritage)

(Thought-Random)       

Topic #4: July 1-7, 2012

Topic: What are your views on Filipinos around the world with mixed races or with a Philippine heritage?

Facilitator: Myra Joy Castueras-Trott

Myra Joy Castueras-Trott - July 2 at 1:40am
 I cannot think of a universal topic more close to my heart than this. I am just proud of Filipinos around the world who are proud of their mixed heritage especially when they are not ashamed to tell the world that they are half-filipino or with Filipino heritage like Erik Spoelstra,Miami Heat coach, Jessica Sanchez, Vanessa Hudgens etc. I think it's with how one of their parents have shared part of their culture which will all boil down to the nurturing of family relationships. I am married to a Bermudian-British. I admire the conservative views my husband exhibits and eventually be naturally acquired by my future children by example. At the same time, i would definitely encourage my future children to embrace also a part of the Filipino culture i would definitely love to teach them and excell in their field of discipline whether in arts or sports. That's all for now, I would love to know your thoughts on this topic! ;-)

Lester Cusi - July 2 at 6:04am
OK, here goes..... The mestizos, or those in foreign lands with Filipino heritage, are becoming an asset. They help put the Philippines in a sort of limelight by their achievements. And right Myra, when they are not ashamed to admit their heritage, it becomes so uplifting for us here. Like Rob Schnieder (hope I got his name right) who is one accomplished comedian. But worry about those who left the country and are no longer proud of it. They have gone literally leaving their hereditary connection to the Philippines. I remember a former client of mine seeking to disown his former wife. I asked him why. He said,"Don't get me wrong bro, I love Filipinas, that is why I married one. My wife was caring, bathed me, cooked my food the way I want, always helped change my clothes, was worried if I did not look good. She was still all that when we went to the States." I asked him "so what happened" He said, "a few months after we arrived, she made friends with our neighbors and she just became an American. She just did not care about me anymore." That is just sad that the woman forgot her being a true Filipina wife. But she never surrendered to him. She got into a relationship outside of marriage and now she lost millions of dollars after divorce.

Liza Togade - July 2 at 10:20am
I admire Filipinos, whether of pure or mixed heritage, who are proud of their culture and of who they are. In San Francisco where I reside, I see second, third generation Filipinos proudly wearing the Philippine Flag, kids who have never set foot in the Philippines and yet aware of their lineage.
The irony of this is that when I go home to the Philippines wearing my Philippine flag inspired clothing, I get looks and smirks from people and I am not always sure they appreciate what it means or if they feel as proud as I do.

Glenn Gattud - July 3 at 5:42am
Nice posts, guys. I kinda like Lester's story about the wife who became American because I think the wife didnt drop her being a Filipina...she just stopped being a slave to the mentality of some Filipino male chauvinists who think their wives should serve them hand and foot. If anything, I love how globalization is making Filipinos aware of other cultures breaking down colonial mentality and abrasive Filipino traits like ningas cogon, bahala na and that Latino male chauvinism perpetuated in Philippine poltics and Pinoy soap operas. Working in an industry that makes full use of my English and requires me to be understanding of my clients (US, Aussie and at one time Chinese, Germans and Indians), I am witness to the versatility of the Filipino in adapting to the world without stepping out of his own country or marrying a "foreigner". On Liza's note about the smirks you get from folks who see you sporting the country's colors, its not you they're smirking it but the fact that those are so freakin expensive, you can buy 3 LA Laker jerseys with Kobe's number for the price of a jacket :-)

Ernie Reyes - July 4 at 10:55pm
Great topic Myra, and great discussion! Philippine history has shown that our country became a cultural melting pot long before our great grandparents were even born. This cultural "dilution" still happens today, and not just in the Philippines. Filipinos, and those of Filipino descent, can practically be found in every corner of the globe. This resiliency and adaptability I can admire, but what impresses me most is what Liza mentioned - pride in their heritage that is passed on through generations, wherever they may be.

Sher Moran - July 5 at 5:12am
I'd like to add the Filipino inventors of course: Pedro Flores, inventor of YO-YO; Roberto del Rosario, the Karaoke Sing Along; Fe del Mundo the Incubator; Eduardo San Juan the Moon or Lunar Buggy, remember? Gregorio Zara the videophone; Abelardo Aguilar discovered erythromycin and died without being recognized and rewarded, it became the first successful macrolide antibiotic introduced in the US. Diosdado Banatao developed the Ethernet that made Internet possible and the First Windows accelerator chip. Intel is now using the chips and technologies developed by Banatao. Last but not least and to me the lead inventor ahead of his time - Agapito Flores. . .the florescent lamp of course, because of him our World has become brighter. Filipino ingenuity rocks! :-)

Marl Rosal - Friday at 4:22am
Hello!! I have a lot of Filipino friends and acquaintances here who are married to different nationalities... One thing that I admire is the fact that they produce good looking children. :) More often than not, they too are proud of their Filipino descent. I found them commendable as well, for they brave the odds, barriers of culture and religion. But there are unfortunate circumstances wherein, the Filipina mother is being mistaken for a maid by their children/husbands friends when not introduced ahead of time... Also the fact that some of the women married to foreigners acts and dresses like real westerners (i.e. skimpy and tight fitting clothes).. which can be flattering if done in good taste.. they also use vulgar words and look down on their "kababayans". Some are blessed to inter marry, that is one way of uplifting our status.. our chance of telling the world that we are deserving of other nationalities as much as they deserve us. We can't change what the world thinks of us, but we can change our ways to maintain our dignity and self respect!

Sonja Chan - Friday at 9:50am
Ah yes, the pluses and the minuses of having our cultural heritage mixed with others! I've actually seen for myself all of the instances you state above, guys, both admirable and disconcerting, and I agree with your thoughts. Even my own family bloodline, in fact, has (and probably also in the near future) been introduced to foreign ones but we try to have our Filipino traditions remain pristine even as we all accept others in fairness and in yes, keeping up with the times and with necessary practical measures. One of the fun aspects I have come across, though, and which I can share with you is that, one of my Visayan friends who got married to a German national, now leads a good life but when we met the last time, she was speaking German with a Visayan accent! :(

Lester Cusi - Friday at 11:53pm
Yes Mam Sonja. Most of us who speak in foreign languages have no remnants of our culture except our accents. But, you know, I was so flattered by one of my niece's friends in Carson City, L.A. when she had her "kinsenera". The friend asked her who I was and when my niece said I was her uncle, the friend's reply was "I thought he was Filipino," So my niece said, "But he is Filipino." The friend said, "But he doesn't sound Filipino." I interjected with, "That's because I was a college boy." The friend took about five minutes staring at me. My niece was laughing but so proudly. She for one is all Filipino blood but has been born and raised in the USA. She is very proud to be a Filipino. And yes, they are good looking....... Considering the Philippines is a melting pot of cultures, then and now, it would be very easy to think that we can roam the globe and adopt to it like its masters, and yet humbly be able to set our distinction as a nation, but proudly pronounce our origins.

Sonja Chan - Saturday at 7:56am
Exactly my point, Lester! Different ways of skinning the carabao, different ways of upholding one's heritage in a foreign land. If I may offer a linguistic point, unless one works hard towards learning a second language as an adult, or unless environment and circumstance helps in a special way, an adult language learner will retain his first language accent. So in which ever way, it boils down to the fact that the Filipino is proud to be Filipino - always, apparently! Or almost always? :) But I am proud of you, Lester! Way to go, man! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment