Thursday, September 20, 2012

SLU Forensics Online Discussion Excerpts-4 (Immigrate from the Philippines?)

(Thought-Random)

Topic #2: June 18-23, 2012

Topic: Should I stay in the Philippines or immigrate elsewhere.

Facilitator: Glenn Gattud

Sher Moran - June 17 at 6:35pm  Wow, . . .a great topic. The word "diaspora" has become so popular in the Philippines that I, who stayed behind wondered why can't others try to hack it here? Honestly, I have tried to find ways to greener pastures myself out there but having had a family early has made it a hundred times more difficult for me to just up and go. Definitely everything boils down to economics and opportunities. The fact that the Philippines is a 3rd world already speaks a thousand reasons to want to leave. The Philippines obviously can't make it to even 2nd world in our time. A chance to get ahead not for ourselves but to open doors for the kids can be the very real reason. Even if they say life is better in the Philippines, the "bailing" out of our kids from the harsh realities of a 3rd world starts with us. We make the ultimate sacrifice and If things work out for us out there, that's icing on the cake. :-)

Dhek Navarro - June 18 at 7:05am
I have lived abroad for more than 6 years. Been to many countries too. but nothing is better than Philippines. If you have a good paying job here (more than a 100k), and your whole family is here, I will not migrate. there is not much to gain out there. We have everything here and more.

Glenn Gattud - June 18 at 11:24pm
In speaking with a host of friends who migrated to Canada and the US during the Marcos, Aquino and Estrada years - they did so because they felt, the political situation would deteriorate to a point of anarchy and therefore wanted to be safe. Those presidencies passed and for those of us who stayed, the descent into anarchy didnt happen at all.

Sher Moran - June 19 at 5:43am
Good points, Dhek and Glenn. . . .I would want to point out that the retirement dream of most Filipinos is to come back home. I have however, a childhood friend who had the same dream, but as her kids grew into young teens, this friend of mine has finally accepted the possibility of retiring in NY. Her plans revolve around getting a condo when her kids marry off and enjoying theater & stage productions, concerts and the hundred exotic cuisines. On those who "fled" to other countries for fear of the Marcos, (FVR), Aquino, Estrada 's contribution to the Philippine government's deterioration, there was a time these "migrants" came back to give the Philippines a second chance during GMA's term. i think they have gone back. Only in the Philippines . . . .

Glenn Gattud - June 19 at 6:53am
Excellent point there, Sheree. I have a friend who fled the Philippines during the Marcos years, came back and put up a business during the Cory and FVR years went back to Canada during Estrada's term, came back during the Arroyo presidency but finally left for good during the last two years when she realized in her own words, "that she couldn't thrive in a hell run by Filipinos". I heard she's working two jobs now but is a lot happier even with the racism she experiences because that's an accepted fact in Canada. My response that corruption is an accepted fact in the Philippines - has yet to be met :-).

And therein lies my beef against immigrating: hell as it may be, at least I am still the master of my own house and fate in good old Philippines while I would be a second-class citizen elsewhere, my credentials downgraded because my educational standards are supposedly not at par with natural born citizens even if my experience outstrips and my knowledge and skills outweighs the competition. Pity the Bangladeshi doctor who has to work as a nursing aide while going back to school to get the necessary certification to practice medicine in Canada or the mining engineer who has to work as a drill foreman even if he's had senior engineer posts in Indonesia prior to moving to the US.im .

Lester Cusi - June 19 at 7:10am
Sheree, Glen, the mindset of immigrating due to political considerations, or prejudices as you would, stems from the migration of the Malayan race to these islands. We inherited that. Ever heard of an Aeta wanting to leave just because life was hard? Well, I have never heard of one. They always went back. When Mt. Pinatubo or Apu Mallari, as the Aetas will call their deity, was about to erupt, the Aetas were being herded off, but they held their ground refusing to leave because that is their HOME. Only when the first fumes came out that they decided to go, but only to find them back soon after the June 15, 1991 eruption. That is how many Filipinos feel. They may go out but wish to come back always. The ones who flee and fear to face the drudgery of the socio-political situation are, maybe more Malay, as they would want to stay out of the Philippines. I guess wanting more financial capacity from sources outside of the country is understandable, but I know most of these would want to come back before their dead, or even after they die.

Marl Rosal - June 20 at 1:56am
 I can relate to this discussion and matter of fact, my better half doesn't have any plans of coming back home to the Philippines. He keeps telling me this is for the future of our children.Sadly so, but then he hasn't convinced me yet. :) I prefer to retire in my home country and breath my last there. I feel it right and no matter the situation, it still is best to be home. Corruption happens everywhere, we may be called a third world but I believe people can make things happen. We are lucky, Our country is tropical, any place is habitable, magsipag at magtiyaga ka lang mabubuhay ka. Those people who were complaining or whining are not really doing something about their life. True, life is hard, difficult but look around.. There are people who live happily.. Their simple needs are met.. Long before my husband decided to go overseas, (he didn't consult me by the way), we lived far from each other , i didn't have any inclination of going abroad. My thinking is that, my parents didn't go abroad yet they were able to send all 5 of us to school. My father was a laborer and my mother was a tindera sa palengke. We were looked down before, life was difficult. I didn't have an easy childhood but I never thought of one day leaving my country for a greener pasture. My mothers cousins tried very hard to encourage her to go to the US with them coz they were already settled there. But she thought about us, as to what will become of us if she ever leave us. So she has decided to stay put and work harder. I've also been working before i left the Philippines, i was the Branch Manager and The Regional Officer for the Northern Luzon of a Telecommunications Company. If I want I can continue on with my career and live comfortably, but time came and choices are to be made. A difficult decision for your personal growth and your family and I chose the latter. I became a housewife. If I were to put things in perspective, being away for a better life is more of a fairytale than a reality. Life abroad is not as easy as they seem to be, but of course there are people who are lucky and there are people who fall prey to a more difficult life than they had back home. Swertehan Lang ika nga. There are lots of sad stories to tell, they might have been better off had they stayed. But because of the so called better life for the people you are going to leave behind, we gamble our future. This is a Filipino mentality that is very commendable and the reason why we adapt easily to different situations. As to our children's future, we are sending them to school to get a good education, we are giving them the armor to defend themselves through the good values we instill in them while they are with us so it will be their duty when the time comes to find themselves a better future.

Sher Moran - June 20 at 3:13am
Nice sharing Marl, I have heard those stories too, those who make it and those who don't. let me share you a short related story about a similar incident that I find interesting. . . .A fellow friend would come home and would relentlessly complain about how difficult life was was out there. After a couple of yearly visits home, I curiously asked why not come home now? After all, they seemed to have lived comfortably and earned a handsome retirement package. Without thinking twice, he responded with " We can't! The benefits we get, health insurance, free education, the future of the kids. . . and it's first world!". I had to laugh about this, indeed! :-)

Peterjules M. Agustinll - June 20 at 3:31am
Philippines , pearl of the orient. A lot we didn't know about this tiny country of 7000 islands. Prophesy has been said that this country is God's apple of the eyes. Check cindy jacob in you tube. You can see the changes happening as one can put pride is his/her country.the likes of manny pacquiao,spolstra coach of miami heat,pineda of journey,charice and many more. You can see our country being a hot destination of BPO's as we are considered #1 in that category. And the last findings near palawan 70 kms rorobank the biggest natural gas finding (2.5 trillion barrels ) which will last a century.Our country is becoming a tiger ready to soar all in a matter of time .i consider our country as a small cap w strong growth than nation like USA and Europe were finacial crisis are hurting each individual.it would take time for those counties to recover due to uncontrolled debt. I see more blessings in our nation cause even as change occur we/us put trust or faith to our Lord.

Marl Rosal - June 20 at 6:46am
Thanks, Sher! :) but your friend who keeps complaining probably has to stop, think twice and instead be thankful coz in the first place he doesn't want to go home anyway because of the benefits. He has to be grateful to his host country, don't you think so? Funny really. And the sleeping tiger? I believe I have already heard that during FVRs term, it's just so sad that we remained asleep all this time. If only our leaders did their part, we could've been at par with Singapore or any of our Asian counterparts. But come to think of it, we are still lucky coz we are not as hurt as the other first world countries experiencing a downturn. We manage to laugh out and still live a life despite our being poor. We can withstand any crisis coz we are Filipinos ! No one can top that! :)

Glenn Gattud - June 20 at 6:18pm
Nice inputs there. Great to hear about people who are able to succeed here (which is why they're staying) and elsewhere (which is why they migrated). I'm hearing a common thread in that most of those who have gone abroad are saying they want to retire here which makes sense since what can cost you a small room in a crappy nursing home there can fund a moderate business here plus the added fact that you have family who can care for you in your old age (which is the biggest come-on according to almost every senior citizen i've spoken too who came back to retire). So are the benefits so mentioned in migrating only applicable when you're fit and sturdy. Once upon a time, I thought it would be nice to migrate to Sweden because of the cradle to grave benefits but after discovering it was too cold, too stoic, a bit xenophobic (with a tendency and I had to learn Swedish - i changed my mind :-)

Sonja Chan - June 21 at 1:17pm
On going back home to retire and die, I, too, have that in my mind. But not that I am less nationalistic than all the rest - I have other thoughts. If one can bloom wherever he's thrown, surely he will also find love and care wherever...and it will not matter where he retires and dies. I believe that, guys, Fact is, I will want to be cremated and have my ashes blown by the winds to wherever as well because it will be good enough for me to stay just in the thoughts of the souls I have touched. :)

Rainbow InTheFire - June 21 at 3:06pm
What an interesting discussion and I am learning so much. Thank you everyone!

Here's my humble take: Most of us seem to agree that our decision to stay in or out of the country depends on our current life stage. So, in my case, with a young family, my wife and I have made a conscious decision to stay in the UK, primarily because of our son. We believe in the value of British education and residency, because these will give him mobility and freedom to go anywhere and do whatever he wishes.

Despite the western decline in terms of economic power and influence, many Chinese and Indian parents still send their kids here for their education. They still see its value, and so we stay for the moment, at least.

Of course, a lot can change in the future, so we'll see by then. With the generally good economic news coming from the country, who knows, going back home can even be a viable option in the future. My wife's patience in making sure our son speaks -- and sings -- Filipino may prove to be really useful! Besides, the hard fact right now is that we can never afford to send him to a school here if we go back to the Philippines!

Raising kids away from the country is fraught with dangers and pitfalls, of course. However, for every yob reported by the media, I also meet well-mannered young people in their 20s who are as committed to their faith as they are to their jobs.

And finally for me personally and professionally, the Good Lord has been extremely kind to allow me to work in London's financial services industry. On top of it, the industry is based in The City, the one square mile medieval, historical core from which present day London grew. So, Tower Bridge, St. Paul's Cathedral and the Tower of London are literally minutes away, including the grand old lady of central banks, the 317 year old Bank of England (please see below), which I see each time I take a glance outside the window.

I must confess that even after 5 years, this view -- indeed an entire universe away from bucolic Paniqui, Tarlac -- still gives me a massive kick. Hence, I'm afraid we're staying until our son finishes school!

Glenn Gattud - June 21 at 3:39pm
Excellent point on the education piece, Reu. I do agree the British school system is quite excellent although I wonder why a doctor with a medical degree from a British school has to take certification courses in Canada in order to practice medicine (must be a Canadian thing). Brits are also more tolerant of others racially (although you can never remove that entirely anywhere).

If not for the cold and rain, I would think London would be nice. Personally i like Cardiff and Londonderry though (where most call centers are servicing EU and the UK) but that's probably because they remind me more of BraveHeart and King Arthur :-)

Sher Moran - June 21 at 5:56pm
Hi Reu! Very nice insights, On the part of "My wife's patience in making sure our son speaks -- and sings -- Filipino may prove to be really useful! " That's awesome! I really appreciate it much when people who grew up out there come home and can carry a few Pilipino or Ilocano lines and carry a good conversation, enjoying our cultural jokes. That alone makes me thankful that folks like you ingrain the cultural heritage even with Pilipino songs and a few lines. It is nice to know that when a child knows where they come from, we trust that they will carry on and be proud of where their parents come from. On your take on choosing British education, I hear it's also one of the best choices. Talking about Indians, we hear that their advancement in education has risen to great heights for their country. . .lately, it is predicted that India will soon be closing in to being a 1st world. . .( that was colonized by the British once upon a time.)

Glenn Gattud - June 21 at 7:08pm
Did you know that in India - MBA's are just about as common as Bachelor degrees are here and that you need a PhD on your credentials? I was amazed at the educational background of the team managers and training coaches compared to those from the Philippines or for that matter the Brits. (MBA vs AB English vs S6 certificate).......

Dhek Navarro - June 22 at 11:44pm
And for all of you who are currently living outside of our country, now is the time to invest in the Philippines. I have only been home for a year, but am amazed with the development and the positive growth that you can see everywhere. In 2008, I Bought stocks in the Philippines and in the States. my portfolio in the Philippines has doubled while the States increased around 10 percent. Dado Banatao said it is time to stop waiting for investors to come, we should become the investors. This is what we can do to help our country.

Albert Froilan G. Gaerlan - June 23 at 3:46am
I never wanted to leave the Philippines, the land of my birth, the soil of my impending demise. I admit I have for years looked down on the never ending exodus of our people, good people, nationalists, patriots, talents, leaders. But economics pushed them out. Philippine economy struggled for years and many of our political and economic leaders focused on alleviating the Philippine economic standards. Many of the programs fail but still we pushed. Only recently, businessmen declared Philippine economy as bullish and trending toward recovery and stability. As Nations suffer from the effects of world recession, the Philippines braved the path and pushed for battling the spoils of the war against this oppressive recession. What better time to re-invest our efforts and talents but now. Let the youth know that being future leaders of the country they should remove themselves from the notion of seeking greener pastures elsewhere for such green pastures are simply dreams within a dream. The Filipino's brow of sweat and pool of blood make our pastures greener, and though you soak in your own sweat and swim in your own blood while living abroad, there is nothing compared to the serenity of your motherland's voice. I, in my own little way, struggled to chip a cent toward helping the country a better place for all of us. The idealism of my youth remained steadfast even when wrinkles appear obstrusively and the hair lost its grip after years of scraping my scalp. My bitter sweet relationship with the country never waivered. I declare myself a Nationalist and a Patriot, however, I am one of those who left. My reason for leaving the country is as ubiquitous as those parlayed by others, I have no special reason for leaving. Now as I look back, I see a country suffering from floods, crimes, corruption, escapist psyche, and the despeprate struggle toward being whiter, better and richer than your neighbor. The view from where I stand seem to be more obscure than when I was back home. I could no longer see the efforts made to correct whatever wrong there is in our country. What I see now are the impertinent and impatient faces of my countrymen making ugly faces at a country they once belong. Now I ask myself, why? More than ever, I wish to feel once again the seemingly futility of the efforts to right the wrong done to our country. At least I try to make my own little effort to lift the country from the quagmire of third world stagnism. One may choose to migrate but let not your hearts migrate away from the land of your birth.

Sher Moran - June 23 at 5:19am
‎"....but let not your hearts migrate away from the land of your birth." To Dhek and Albert, both of you and all others like you out there are our unsung heroes. We have to acknowledge your contributions in remittances back to your immediate or extended families left behind in the Philippines. It is because of you that the economy of the Philippines has been steadfast despite the recession and slow pickup of the economy. Being unsung heros literary means that. We have not given these heroes a warm welcome each time you come home to visit or written about extensively in news, print or a book except how you translate in GNP. No band, no hometown grand celebrations, no banners or what not. So cheers to all you unsung heroes. . .cheers!

Maria Lorna Cusi - June 24 at 2:16am
Hey! I didn't receive notifications for these posts? I was watching my email like a hawk for people's two cents here since ideas on this topic will be useful for me soon... :( Ma'am Sonja, perhaps you will visit Vancouver BC and we can have our cup of coffee there?

Sonja Chan - June 24 at 8:13am
Lorna... everyone is supposed to have each a copy of all posts... why not you, I wonder. But coffee in Vancouver? Wow! I'll surely make time for it, thanks much... see you then! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment