Monday, August 23, 2010

A Little Bit of Malaysia

(Camera-Random)


            One of the countries that fascinates me immensely for its cultural diversity is Malaysia with its Chinese, Indian, and Malay ethnic groupings.  It is also a  country where one is treated to a happy co-existence of tradition and modern technology. I truly think this is amazing.

Kuala Lumpur:   -I marveled foremost at the Petronas Towers. Stainless steely stately during the daytime..... silvery moonlit lovely in the night. When Erin came to visit, she loved as I did, the bookstores, the coffee shops  and the Khazanah in particular. I should have a better shot of the towers next time around.


The Petronas Towers
Erin shopping at the Petronas

The Railway Station
The Museum of Literature




The Sunway Lagoon District: - where Rey and his family currently reside.....

Break at a Malaysian McDonald's
A Seashore Escapade-Rey and Jeannie, Pierce, Reece, Lara


Sunway University Campus
View of the Sunway Mall from the Palmville Condominiums
The Sunway Mall decorated for the Chinese New Year
Putra Jaya - The Administrative District ....with state of the art architecture

Erin's Visit to Malaysia: - Penang, Langkawi, Genting etc......

Penang - it was Hokkien they spoke a lot in here. 
But it was Mandarin Jeannie enrolled me in.....

One of my ICLS Mandarin classes
... as for the salsa dance class, I yet have to unearth a mirror-reflection of it. :)

Erin's Penang experience
At the Batul Caves
Erin and Nyonya at the Starbucks KL Sentral

Langkawi - One of the favorite tourist destinations... an island Erin and I had a lot of fun exploring....
Cameron Highlands...... a destination that brought us up a mountain through a winding road, so reminiscent of good old Baguio back home.  This was a place developed by a European, so we were told, and traces of the European culture were thus evident..... the house designs of Germany, the artifacts of Belgium and the Netherlands that were all around the hotel we checked in.. ... The cool climate was so Baguio- what with the strawberries and the orchids and the cacti -
Tea Plantation
A shot from the cable ride
O
Malacca - One of the oldest cities of Malaysia where traces of Portuguese culture are still so evident.... and where we came to know of  very good friends.
Angeline Anthony and her family
Her wedding day
The family of Mr. Saw- he was with Rey at Baguio'sTexas Instruments
A windmill but not of my heart, sorry. :)
             I love Malaysia for a number of reasons. The family factor comes foremost, but of course.  Thanks to Rey- my one jewel of a son, and his lovely wife, Jeannie.. thanks to my adorable angels: -that would be Pierce, Reece and Lara.. But the language factor nicely comes in too.  The languages ( the cultural diversity, in fact) are so intriguing to me.  And too, I enjoy not only my Mandarin classes (and the dance) ..and the gym...but also my toastmaster experiences here. I had earlier met Malaysia's TM District Governor, Dr Arul, in one of the District Conventions in Manila and promised to give him a call should I find myself in Malaysia. That one phone conversation went: You are in Malaysia?  Where in Malaysia? In Petaling Jaya.  Where in Petaling Jaya? In Sunway Lagoon.  Where in Sunway?  At the Palmville Condominiums.  What door?  That would be B-12. Hey, I live in the apartment next to yours!!!!. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment