Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Mom of Ruby

(A Toastmaster Basic Speech)

Ladies and Gentlemen:

        You know, there was a time not very long ago when this little girl named Ruby was way back yet in preschool.  Well, like any normal mother, I was so proud of her every achievement: - in song, in dance, in poetry delivery - everything that a 4-year old girl could do.  You see, each time she'd get an award for any of these activities, people would exclaim, 'Why that's the daughter of Sonja!'  And all eyes would turn to me.....and I would relish all of those impressed looks!

        Well, this 4-year old Ruby is now the 40 something Ruby that some of you here know.  As of now, she's gone through middle school,  through high school,  through graduate school with a doctoral degree in Linguistics - just like her mom.  She is married,  she has four children.  She has lived and worked places in  Asia,  in Europe,  and now, in the States.  And guess what, whenever now it's my turn to achieve some effort recognition, people exclaim, 'Why that's the mom of Ruby!'  And all eyes would now turn to her one hundred impressed!

        Fellow Toastmasters - it's not that I am complaining, even if I do sound like I am. It's just that I simply can't believe how time flies off.  Ruby travels her time line, yes,  with all the blessings the heavens send her. But well, I do have my share of a corner in this world.  In fact, even before she was born, I had already been part of the academe.  While I taught professional education subjects,  I also taught languages like English, Spanish, and some others.  Then I had the chance to be Department Head for Languages in my university - that's the Saint Louis University.  This one's run by Belgian Fathers in the Philippines because the Saint Louis University in Missouri - that one's run by Jesuit Fathers.

        I still remember how I had enjoyed my earlier academic life even if I used to be overworked.  You see, I was also properly paid.  But no, not overpaid.  I'd be given extra teaching assignments in the Graduate School as well as consultation hours both for masteral and doctoral dissertation writers.  Then - as if these were not  yet enough, I joined Toastmasters International too.  Now,  in Toastmasters there is no money - that,  you all know!  But believe me, it is here where I enjoyed myself even more.  So much so that I got the chance to serve three terms as Area Governor and a term of Division Governor.  That's Area 61, Division G, in District 
75 - in the Philippines.  That's how I got to earn my DTM norm, by the way.

        Now I mustn't miss telling you, my dear friends,  that I was also happily married to a military man by the name of Antonio.  Not Antonio Banderas, of course.  But if you like him a lot, I do, too.   I watch his every movie, you know.  But my Antonio, he used to be an officer of the Philippine Army.  Funny thing though is that he didn't give up his life in battle...he lost it to pneumonia instead...and that was a couple of years ago. This, in fact, is the reason I find myself here with you tonight - as the tables have been overturned, so to speak.  My son and my daughter have now become my parents...taking care of me....and telling me what todo as well.  The one says, 'Mom, you can't stay alone back home anymore! Either you stay with me here in
Malaysia, or you stay with Ruby out there in the States.'  And the other one says, 'I totally agree!'

        So Ladies and Gentlemen, - you're guessing right that I have allowed myself to be cut off from my academic life. But that is going to be just temporarily, I assure you.   On the other hand, I'm sure you can also see that I have not allowed myself to be cut off from my Toastmasters' life.  But the overall important thing is this: - because I can sincerely say that both my family and my career have been most fulfilled segments in my life,  I really don't  mind now being known as The Mom of Ruby.

Mister Toastmaster......





        












No comments:

Post a Comment