Thursday, September 9, 2010

Ella Anika

(Thought-Random)

        She climbs up on my lap as I type away on my computer,  this lovely little 4-yr old of ours - the live wire at home..... some of the family call her Ella, I call her Anika.  Because she sweetly asks, May I please use your computer?, and in order to escape the towel of kisses that now wipe my face and the tight arms around my neck that threaten my life, I promise to give her my computer after this.

        I like to think of how fast her mind associations go. Like one time she just comes to me with a sheet of facial tissue and asks for a flag out of it.  Well a soda straw she just used is close at hand so it serves; -this, on which to glue her tissue.  The easiest to print on a facial tissue would be just a red solid circle on the middle of it and presto, the Japanese flag! She happily takes it and waves it around.  I say you should also shout 'Banzai'! And she does.



        A couple of days afterwards, she comes upon me on facebook and notices the profile pic of  my friend.  It is a nice shot of the sunset - the redish sun smack right in the middle of the frame.... and she comments: Why that's a little Banzai! :)


        But a couple of days earlier, we were in Virginia- in Lexington, to bring one of her sisters back to school at Washington and Lee University.  At one spare time I was enjoying with her as we soaked in the sights of the university campus, I pointed out to her one of the brick buildings that filled it up saying, Hey Anika, look at this brick house.. just lovely no? And she positions herself just a little closer to the wall and starts to huff, and puff, and huff, and puff... but she couldn't blow the house down!!!! LOL!.




        And today at Borders where I whiled away some time  (and missed Erin a lot) -after mentoring a toastmaster colleague on her speech,  Anika and her mom came to fetch me.  At once her new look arrested my attention.  She now dons a pixie look... her hair cut short sweetly becomes her, I realized....



         .....in comparison to her once long hair.....


           ..... cut just some inches shorter for the summer.....



         And now - as I inspect her hair cut, I discover the jagged edge of her hair line..... She just cut her own hair with her scissors! Bing volunteers the info..... She was supposed to be cutting colored paper!!!!  :(


        Much earlier than Virginia in Massachusetts, though  - in Wrentham,  for this spiritual retreat Erin and I made at the St. Mary's Abbey, this time she couldn't help imitating the sisters at prayer........


      .....so devoutedly.....


        ..... and wanted to make sure that.......


        ......."Was my picture taken yet?! :)

        Well, once upon a time,  monastic life intensely touched my thoughts and aspirations. I tried to assess my person in its totality in conjunction with a contemplative way of existence. I still fondly remember the people and the circumstances that played a role in this segment of my life.   But I took up the marital vows instead and would like to think  I certainly was true to its demands.  Now that was way long, long ago.  At this very  moment, however,  I  wonder:   -will Anika ever possibly pick up from where I left off?

   

2 comments:

  1. I just read your story on Anika. She is so cute. And who knows what life will bring her. She has much growing to do. I know if Brett comes home soon he will surely visit you, Anika and family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sentiments exactly Nancy, thanks much for dropping by. Family looks forward to meeting up with you all as well. take care now....

    ReplyDelete