Saturday, September 18, 2010

Peel that Orange!

 (Thought-Random)

            An orange is an orange is an orange just like a rose is a rose is a rose.  And it isn't just the euphony of it that I love.  I love the orange mismo... that orange-colored, tangy fruit...that vitamin C- laden representative of the citrus family.  Nights when I used to burn the midnight oil trying to finish mountains of reports for the next day, I'd peel an orange, inhale the refreshing aroma that comes with it with much gusto till I feel tranquilized.  Then would I eat the pulp bits up to the last of it, unhurriedly, segment after segment after segment.  That would have me awakened and enabled to finish the job at hand.  And should the sandman insist on sprinkling more sand into my eyes, I would follow it with a sprinkling of juice from the orange peelings... and presto, Mr Sandman is a subdued competition!

             I am much older now than I was when I'd do the above life-saving orange trick to have me do what I had to do.  Things have somehow changed... some actually having changed to be the opposite of what used to be.   Like if I tried to keep myself from falling asleep in my younger years, now I try hard to make myself fall asleep as the hours of the night turn to hours of the day.   If  then I  used to need to stay awake, now I need to be able to fall asleep that I ask others just how I should be able to do that... -fall asleep when it is time for bed.   Interesting how I am advised to exercise before bedtime... to drink a warm glass of milk...to soak in a hot bath... and so forth, and so on.  But nothing seems to work.  Well, being nocturnal does me some benefits though, I get a lot done!  Notwithstanding this, still, I have to get more sleep than I am actually getting!



             Now guess what.  It's way past midnight as I type this away.  I passed by the fridge on my way to my room for the night and spied a big so-orange orange with other fruits.  I had picked it up and took it along with me at the spur of the moment.   And now this orange sits across my computer on a pile of books and I look at it without anything in my mind for it.  Nothing.  But I simply continue to look at it.  Suddenly choices present themselves to me. I still have to have more sleep. But for now, that beautiful once-upon-a-time feeling beckons to me:  that lovely feeling brought about by peeling the orange, inhaling that aroma that comes with it, then eating the pulp bits, later to be followed by crushing the peelings with my hands close to my eyes to give them a good cleansing, -among others! Now please, what do you think I should think?

No comments:

Post a Comment