Monday, October 22, 2012

AF Online Training: Instructor Motivation

(Thought-Random)

         Online education has definitely opened up to me exciting novelty and vast challenges to which I would see as the basic component for its success:  interactivity among instructor, student and content.

       The course has so far touched on diverse aspects such as introductions, community, feedback, among others, and now, my chance to express what strategies I might use as instructor to stay connected with my online students. Well, a lot has been mentioned about how to successfully engage our students in communication, not only with content and with their peers in community but most especially with us, the instructors. So I kind of turn the tables around to the question - how about me to stay engaged with them?  I guess I have mentioned these elsewhere - something that I have earlier come across on utube -  but they work well here too.  I'd hold on to these thoughts: first is the fact that I am putting across learning as my profession, so that if only for my own  professional growth, I have to make sure that that one factor to make that learning happen is there - and that would be my social presence throughout the course. Second, they say that a teacher doesn't have any business being a teacher if he stops learning; therefore, for me to go on learning, I will maintain that presence in order to enhance not only the students' but also my own communicative skills. And third, one reason for an instructor's social presence is to monitor how his students advance in their learning. If I maintain my social presence and thus see this scenario for a fact, I will have a sense of accomplishment in seeing progress, -and I will certainly love it!

8 comments:

  1. From Jesse Keith:

    Hi Sonja, I like your point on social presence as an instructor. Many students use social networking (youtube, twitter, etc) outside of their education. Using social networking as a tool to communicate with students could be a great way to capture their attention and encourage communication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Annette Bosley-Boyce:

    What a great idea! I didn't think about using social networking as a tool, but why not? What about Facebook? I get concerned about "friending" my students and think that this medium might be a little too personal or TMI...

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Stephanie Payzant:

    See my posting response to Mike's at the top of the forum about Social Media and Online Office Hours. I think this will address some of your concerns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jesse. I have always been fascinated by social media and its impact on communication. Makes for social presence in our online education simply convenient. Nice having interacted with you in this program... hasta la vista! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Raymond Engle:

    Sonja,
    The on line process opens eyes doesn't it? having recently completed on of my degrees online and being on the other side, it is fascinating to understand the processing behind scene. As you point out, we are in a continual learning process, not only in understanding the information are conveyed to the students but how the instructor motivates and energizes all those involved. That motivation and excitement that the instructor exudes helps each student stay on track.

    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it does, Ray, absolutely! Glad you share the thought with me. And if I haven't yet, let me say, it was great meeting you here... see you around!

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Paul Noonan:

    Social presence is definitely crucial. The amount of time you spend on discussion boards and responding to emails is a direct reflection of your interest in the course--and your students will certainly notice. That's the only way they are going to be motivated, and we as teachers can (hopefully) then feed off the energy of the class.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paul, I certainly hope to measure up to that: -feed off the energy of the class! Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete