Wednesday, October 24, 2012

AF Online Training: On Feedback

(Thought-Random)

        A personal experience that has remained in my memory through the years is a post-conference with my Department Head (APM?) during my earlier years of teaching. After a class of mine wherein she came and observed, she gave me her feedback.  She used the so-called Oreo approach: something positive, information, something positive. For a start, she told me it was an impressive performance I did and that my students must have learned a lot from me, and then ended with more encouraging praise words.  But significant for me was the information part because she thought I was too eager to put in too much in that one lesson like I was putting all I knew.  And I should not because it made my presentation confusing and perhaps even an overloading to the students. She went on to say I could have divided that one lesson in two or three to have it more interesting and easier for them to internalize. Somehow, all these, in essence,  stuck in my mind; - not only what she said but  more specially that what she said was learning to me.

        In like manner, I'd say feedback in our online courses spell not only for our students growth and direction and a confidence booster, but also for myself: - my own professional growth, my enhanced communicative skills, my sense of achievement at seeing progress.  My students would be priority, of course. I would not only give them information of their mistakes positively... I should also try to help them know how to improve on these mistakes if only to encourage their self-efficacy. As I had come across somewhere, "feedback would become the instruction that is missing in the course". But  I would remember as well  that if I established good interpersonal communication with my students, like show interest in their personal struggles, this could be a link to their satisfaction in the course and thus increase their motivation for successful learning.

        

6 comments:

  1. From Mark Cotrupe:

    It sounds like you saw the same video I watched on feedback. I really liked that it works both ways, and everyone benefits. The concept of feedback covering the instruction that was missing is good. You can't teach everything, and not everyone can learn from the exact same presentation. Not only are you filling in information for them, you are having a personal interaction with them, which is itself engaging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I actually did... and like you, I relish the 2-way benefit scenario that feedback accomplishes. Cool, don't you think? In which case it is a win-win situation what online education is all about. I'm sure I'm going to love every aspect of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Paul Noonan:


    This method definitely sounds promising. Many students will immediately assume a defensive posture when hit with criticism right away, and will try to defend themselves even if on some level they agree. Beginning and ending a bit of criticism (info, as you call it) sounds like an effective delivery system, and may have a better chance of being absorbed since the defensive walls will be down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right, Paul, - a kind of strategy I found out would work! Appreciate your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Emily Wengertsman:

    That sound like a great teaching moment if it stuck with you all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It did, Emily, - and it served me well through the years as then, I also became a teacher adviser. :)

    ReplyDelete