Monday, October 29, 2012

AF Online Training: Online Learning

(Thought-Random)

        I actually have had a bit of experience in the use of Blackboard when I taught f2f classes here in Post last year but it was minimal; I confess I only knew enough to put across my Course Info, give assignments and announcements and have a bit of an exchange with my students but that was all. I certainly need to know much more,  most specially of the technical know how (because I am so bad at these)  as I realize a lot of differences between the traditional way I was used to and online teaching.  I think the technological world is opening to me a vast universe of both exciting and kind of anxious-laden emotions and I am but to meet it head on. 

        Since I am aware of the time and space aspects that make online teaching distinct, I expect to get a hold  of the ways and means that it offers for the fulfillment of the goals of the individual needs. interests, and capacities of the students.  That way, I as an instructor, can appropriately base myself as an instrument in the development of their full academic experience.

10 comments:

  1. From Stephanie Payzant:

    You're right that this is exciting but also can be intimidating. Some of your students will feel the same! That's a great way to make a connection when you feel that they may be struggling with the technology. Please feel free to use me as a resource for any of these types of questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stephanie! You are such great comfort!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Robert Cutrofello:

    Sonja...we seem to have the same background in experience. Once we got going last year, I felt comfortable, and found it rather enjoyable. I suspect when students acknowledge the course is all online, they will even more interactive. That will make things more timely, for waiting for some work and getting it all at once was a personal hurdle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right, Robert, I just saw that too. And it's simply great thought. Cuts down the anxiety that goes with the excitement.

    ReplyDelete

  5. From Michael Murphy:

    Don't worry because the more you use Blackboard, the more familiar you become with it. Your comfort level will rise every day as the platform is very user friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the words of comfort, Mike... I do look forward to that mastery of Blackboard and hope it comes soon, most specially with online colleagues like you for encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Quazi Rahman:

    Since I have no previous experience in online teaching, I am looking forward to learn more about this area.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I certainly will be with you in there, Quazi!

    ReplyDelete
  9. From Annette Bosley-Boyce:



    Sonja,

    I've also had online teaching experience, but I agree that every year (or at least it seems) there are more and more advancements in technology that can make online learning more interactive and fun. I'm ready to meet the challenges head on as well and hope in this class we can learn "best practices" from Stephanie or other faculty that have tried some of these new approaches/techinques.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me, too, Annette! And I can see that the years will go on and on... !

    ReplyDelete