Thursday, October 4, 2012

Mail


Thought-Random)

        _______________
        _______________


        'The demise of cursive', right... you're right, we shared that.  Hope you don't miss out, though, on that little guy in the corner...'the demise of letter-writing' via the mailbox - where the cursive writing inside the envelope supplies the personal touch of its 'you've got mail' alert,  making it different with that of the internet! That was the start point, remember?

       You ask of my  views regarding this dying out of the cursive way of writing.  Well,  I certainly would go with the arguments for it's retention in school - what with my own school-day experiences in writing as I had earlier intimated to you.  Notwithstanding this, however, I guess the counter-arguments do have points.   Shall we leave it, thus, to the world seriously focused on this!!!

        Then there was that interesting take you had on handwriting analysis!  And, hey, such modesty you have that I read in between some lines! You're actually taking the death penalty away from me, thank you!  Let me just say frankly, however,  that despite all the claimed scientificity,  if I may call it that,  -of handwriting analysis,-  I'd rather get to know another human being personally to really know his real self . I must also add that I like this particular line from you:  "handwriting with such significantly lower legibility is associated with being executive or with being male'!  Laugh, but this is a total absolution for me!

      Now, this brings me full circle to the notion of handwritten letters. Somewhere back,  you wrote that you were using lined paper writing your letter to control the lines going up and down, didn't you?  That's funny because if  I  haven't mentioned it to you yet,  back in my school days, I used to place a lined page underneath papers I'd use to write my reports on! I'm sure you'd think of that as more uncalled for.  But that was because we were asked to submit these assignments specifically hand written!  And I wanted to make my work at least have the guise of some neatness!  Well, I admit this must be one reason my handwriting never improved.  So that as you see my lines now going all over my pages, it should explain to you that I don't have any lined paper within my reach at the moment.

      But you should ask me about my thoughts on such handwritten letters.  Because I do have some in mind, even as I picked some up from whatever manuscript I have come across that detail utmost pleasurable experiences of writing and receiving handwritten letters.  For instance,  it is said that 'some handwritten letters are so deeply a personal communication that they have the power to make us blush, or at the very least, to make us observe a tender moment in the lives of others'.  This source goes on to say that they 'provide us a glimpse into private affairs and minds celebrating romantic and familial love as well as friendship'! And I think that was just lovely!

        Ah yes, such phenomenal impact handwritten letters give - even in this e-mail age! I for one would think that nothing beats the thrill of opening the mailbox and finding a handwritten letter meant just for me! And that certainly turns the thing round about because I feel the same thrill as I put my pen to paper with a particular face in my mind to whom I am about to share my thoughts and feelings.  Notwithstanding the flavors and innovations of the digital communicative world, it is the handwritten letter I can really stay connected to one with whom I would find time and space in between.  It is elegant and gracious....something that comes with an emotional warmth even from imperfect handwriting.... something I can unfold, read, and fold back over and over and over again!

        I do love my technological gadgets but I relish an intoxicating sensation as I hold pen against stationery.  To me, the stationery is poetic, sensual,  an endpoint of sorts to which a part of me flows through the pen.  Conversely, I feel that I receive the same reality whenever I receive one from you. It always comes with the ring of your laughter as well as with the touch of your hand.  It is always one that brightens up my day  because it pushes the alert button from the mailbox for that animating message: 'you've got mail'!  That, in turn,  transports me then to looking forward to your next and therefore,   -adios! for now..... hasta luego!

        _______________
        _______________

No comments:

Post a Comment