Saturday, January 19, 2013

January 18 - On the extent of distances

Thought-Random:

          I am looking past my computer to that expanse of snow from out of my window, and my sight goes to touch the tip of a leafless tree branch... on to the floor of pure, beautiful, white snow, kind of inch by inch,.. on to to the snow covered back yard of my neighbor into which our own back yard flows .... on to still the back yard next to my neighbor's... because in our community, we hold no fences. And I feel my sight has traveled quite a bit.

          My reality is now transferred to this list of names in my computer, the essays of whom await my attention and editing and grading.  My mind does travel in a way it did the snow just moments past because I go fast forward to the process  I have to undergo: looking into substance, grammar, style, format - followed by the decision of a grade.....and all these for each of the 40 students in my lists. And just for the week. Some travel!

        But I am ushered yet into another dimension of travel - not physical or work associated but psychological or spiritual, if I may say so.  My mind wanders to the extent of my existence not necessarily in terms of length.  Or should I pinpoint to this as the essence of my being? So it is not a physical travel I feel I need to undertake - to understand that part of my self which is not of this world, is it?

        

       

No comments:

Post a Comment